Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Caroline's last goodbye...

Before we start, please read the previous post titled "An almond for Caroline"
Why? Because this is the continuation and the conclusion of my story...

Let's continue. Shall we?

As I said previously, we spent summer vacation together as best friends before college life started.
We got to catch up on what happened during that 4 years without any means of communication.
What happened to those 4 years of hers was nothing special.
She met new friends, new kind of life, just the ordinary type of life.
But what pondered me was the fact that she didn't even had a boyfriend.
Why? Trust me when I say this that she's the kind of girl that guys chase often.
When I asked her why she didn't have a boyfriend.
She laughed and said... "Why? hmmm... I was saving the spot for someone really special hahaha"
I disregarded my question and went on with everything.

So after my 1st semester, 2nd semester started and that was a disaster on my account.
Not that I regret what happened during my 2nd semester, it's just that... well... this is another story so let's carry on with Caroline. XD
And so, It was Christmas Vacation.
The moment of truth.

During Christmas Vacation, I asked my mom if it was possible to have a vacation at laguna because I found out that Carol's house is close to one of my relative's house. Ironic eh?
It's about a jeepney ride away between the two houses.
Fortunately, mom agreed. Road Trip!!

I surprised Carol with the news that I was going to visit her for the rest of the Holiday season.
I didn't know if she was happy or not, she only laughed and smiled.

And so, we arrived at laguna.
Beautiful place.
Clean Atmosphere.
Beautiful scenery.
Pure awesome. XD

When we arrived at our relative's house, it was about 3-4 in the afternoon.
We we're welcomed with a late lunch and a lot of stories followed.
I called Carol to ask her how will I go to her place.
She didn't answer the phone.
I disregarded the fact of her not answering so I just threw my phone back in my bag.
And so the whole day was focused on my mom talking with other relatives.
Some of them was a complete blank to me.
Some, I couldn't even believe I'm related to them.
Unfortunately, no one there was at the same age was me so it was really depressing on my account.
BTW, this was the 24th of December but I'm not going to tell what happened during the midnight that followed because my relatives took all the fun.
Yeap, they spent it drinking. XD

The next day...
It was the 25th..
It was sort of depressing because the whole night, Carol didn't return any of my calls.
When I waked up, I looked at the clock and it said 5:30 am.
I was going to return to bed but then someone called on my phone.
Disregarding on who's calling, I answered the phone and said "Yello" (supposed to be hello but changed into yello because I just woke up).
I was surprised by the voice on the other line. It was her.
She apologized for not answering my calls yesterday. She said her phone was on the fritz and so she used someone else's phone.
She asked me if I could join her during the 25th because no one was at her home. Her family was at the beach.
I accepted the offer but on the condition that we would meet at the guard outpost at the gate of the village. She laughed, said ok, hanged up.
We met at about 11 in the afternoon.

So we left and went for her house.
During the seemingly short trip, I was surprised that she was holding my hand again.
Disregarding that, we arrived at her house.
It was huge! No exaggeration.
When we went in, no one was really there. It was empty.
I asked if there we're any maids, she said there's two but their on vacation.
We went to the what she called was an "entertainment room".
The room had a huge TV, a lot of different stereos, and a pile of dvds at the center table.
It was clear that we were going to spend the day watching movies.

Before we began, she searched the pantry for almonds.
While she was looking, I inspected the movies and said "shit".
It was all about romance.
Imagine a guy that is into gore and violence watching nothing but kisses and more kisses.
As a friend, I endured those stack of movies.

Halfway with the stack of movies.
I started to fell asleep.
Suddenly, I was woken by something falling on my shoulders.
I opened my eyes and saw her lying on my shoulders.
Then something touched my hand.
It was her hand over my mine.
She was still watching the romance movies.
She was so hooked at the movie that she didn't realize that her head was already lying on the my shoulders.
I didn't move a muscle.
Why? because I really liked her...
Although we had no relationships except for being friends, we looked like so much more.


Finally...
She realized what was happening.
She quickly apologized to me.
I said that it was okay, but I really wanted the moment to last longer.
We both exchanged with smiles.

The day was coming to a halt.
It was starting to get darker outside.
I felt that I needed to say what I really felt.
I felt that if I never say this, I would not have another chance.
I didn't want to lose her...
I was willing to do everything just not to lose her...

It was the last movie of the day...
It was now or never..
A few minutes more and the movie would end...
And what was supposed to be the best day would end as well...

I said the following at her....

Boy: Uhmm... Carol?
Girl: Yeah?
Boy: nothing.. hehe
Girl: hehehe
Girl: What do you think of the movie?
Boy: Hmmm it's alright
Girl: Obviously your not watching
Boy: Huh?
Girl: You think it's alright if they just went on with their lives without telling one another that they liked each other?
Boy: Ok, you got me there
Girl: hehehe Oh yeah another question
Boy: What?
Girl: Do you like me?
Boy: What??!! *Surprises*
Girl: Nothing hehehe
Boy: Here's your answer... yeah
Girl: No kidding?
Boy: Look at you... who in the right mind wouldn't fall for you
Boy: You have looks, intellect, and a kind personality to top it off
Girl: Really? well what you say if I liked you too?
Boy: What's left to say?
Boy: *Holds girl's hand*
Girl: *Smiles and gives a kiss on the boy's cheek*

Oh how romantic...

She walked with me to the jeepney station.
She said her goodbye with a smile and turned around to walk home.
Our hands separated...
I said bye to Carol... She turned back and smiled again and said "Tomorrow?"
I said sure.

Best Christmas I've ever had but everything ended so young.
The next day, I overheard from a group of people that a girl was ran over by a truck because of a drunk driver.
What caught my attention the most was the spot they we're talking about is close to Carol's house.
When I called Carol's phone, the line was busy.
When I called her mom, I was greeted by a loud sober.
I asked what was the matter.
She said Carol's dead.
I dropped my phone.....

I never thought last night was her final goodbye. Her last kiss. The last feeling of her warmth.

I just like to say this is just fiction.
Any person named in this story that you know is purely coincidental.

Again, this is just fiction.

0 comments: